Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Full Sized

I've been known to DIY my own headboard and let me be the first to tell you, it's difficult, time sucking, and more expensive than you think it would be.  This bed started out as a $10 bed I found at a thrift store.  I removed everything down to the wood, which gave me blisters, and then realized it was old school 70s and too short for todays thick mattresses.  In came the handy man who added height and legs.  I ordered foam over the internet and it was exorbitant in price!  I took over a week to get here and then I had to let it "rest" for 48 hours to expand to it's full sized.  I had to cut it to match my frame with the wrong tools, I wasn't buying anything else darnit, I had to get batting, more money, and fabric, more money, and an electric stapler, more money.  I took a 100 years to put it together and I didn't pull the fabric tight enough, which is unfortunate with 1000 staples, I'm not pulling all those out, and I realized it would look better with buttons but I didn't save enough fabic to make buttons, once again I didn't save any remnants, sure to be my downfall.  Save your tile, save your fabric, save your eggs.


Still, I can't remember what it cost me, $150 or so, cheaper than you can find anywhere else, and I'm ALWAYS on a budget so a girl does what she has to do.  All in all, I really like it, I was so tired of the iron headboard.

Before this whole switching houses business one of my main goals this fall, around my 40th birthday, was to exchange the french daybed that I bought in my mid 20s for my future toddler, to a full size, ready for guests and putting the past behind me bed.  I've been keeping my eyes open, believe it or not, looking for an iron headboard or one of those swirly wood headboards I could paint an interesting color.  I was messing around on the internet and found this bed on Pottery Barn Teen.

The full size is on sale for $250 and I have a 10% off coupon.  I just don't think anything like this is going to come around this cheap.  The office chair we use in the same room is chocolate brown and I could keep my lilac and white striped curtains (I love brown and lilac together).


I'm going to think hard on this one. I don't want to pass up the right bed.