Friday, April 12, 2013

The Conference Room Makeover

I forgot to take photos of the finished conference room.  This room is very dark, just to warn you and I was just using my iphone for photos.  This is the entrance from the lobby to the conference room.  As you can see it's a pretty small room and doesn't have any windows.  I decided to go with Benjamin Moore "Moonshine" for the walls.  It's the same light neutral to warm gray I have in my house and I love it.  I was worried about painting this room because paint looks very different in this building than other places I have painted.  But this gray turned out fine, it didn't turn blue or purple or green like grays sometimes do.

You can also see the new ceiling fixture.  I thought this would do a great job of lighting the table and it's fair but even with a 100w light bulb it doesn't give off much light at all.  We are happy with it other than that.



The chairs were a last minute decision.  We went to our local Office Furniture Salvage store to order the conference table and get some chairs.  They had regular used office chairs there that we put on hold but when we went back to get the table they had reserved the wrong chairs and I did not like them at all.  These chairs were laying around for I think $60 for 4 chairs.  The material is old knobby turquoise and they are tufted with buttons and I was smitten.  I know they aren't really right for the room but I looked upstairs for other chairs but couldn't find anything and I love these.  The price cannot be beat and we can replace them later with more boring chairs ;-).  I'll have to find a place for these chairs though, I really do love them.  They are a little rickety (they are very vintage) so we are having our handy man glue the weak spots.



Originally I wasn't going to use hardly any books but I realized pretty quickly that two bookcases need a lot of stuff to fill them.  I ended up using a few sets of my husband's old law books and we used some fancy German mugs he has and I used some stuff from the house I was ready to part with.  It's not the greatest staging but funds got tight at the end, maybe I'll revisit accessories later.  I think it would be nice to have some sort of plant in here, maybe one day.






This is the view from the other end of the conference room back towards the front of the room.  My husband wanted to hang the diplomas in the conference room because no one sees them in the attorneys' offices.  The lamp in the back corner is from Ikea from another trip to get some items for the second office.  She ended up not really liking this lamp, it's pretty modern, and I love it so we brought it back here.



The room still needed more light so I ended up getting a new floor lamp.  I shopped at my usual Home Goods and TJ Maxx but couldn't really find what I was looking for.  I noticed Target had this shiny lacquered white lamp for a really great price.  I was happy to find it holds two bulbs and really helps with the light situation.  This honestly might be the best lamp deal I've ever seem as far as price and quality.  The shade is fabric not paper and it's very good quality and sturdy.  I would use this lamp in my house in a heartbeat.


We looked all around Ikea for bookcases.  I think were were leaning towards the Billy Bookcases with glass doors when we saw these.  We had seen them on a previous trip and loved them and now was the time to buy them.  I love the curving on the sides, it really jazzes them up and gives them a little femininity.



We got the rug at Rugs USA online and I'm pretty happy with it.  I do wish the star pattern was a little smaller, but the quality and brightness I really love.  I seems to be very durable.  Rugs USA has great sales, this one we picked up for 50% off and they run these deals all the time.



The mirror I found on Craigslist.  Home Goods was having a down period for great mirrors, a few weeks later they quite a few I liked but at the time I couldn't find anything.  This mirror was very affordable and I spray painted it black.  In retrospect, I like that the room has something old in it (like the chairs but they aren't permanent), I think all rooms need something old, it helps give the space character and warmth.


Sources: Bookcase, Floor Lamp, Ceiling Light Fixture, Rug