Friday, April 19, 2013

The Deck

When we moved in one of the things I knew I was going to miss like crazy was the screened porch.  I had the deck extended to allow for the sliding glass door and I had hopes that somehow the deck would be comparable but part of the fun of the screened porch was letting the cats have free access and hanging out with them on the porch.  The deck would just never be like that.

Also, the space is exposed.  There's no cover, it's completely exposed to the elements and two very large trees and their droppings and because of that I wasn't sure really how to decorate this space.  Now that we're going into our second summer here, I can tell you one thing:  buy furniture for your deck that has no cushions. I'm just sharing what I've learned, you will thank me later.

Last spring I had to have this white wicker loveseat I found at Pier One and I also picked out this beautiful yellow cushion that was something crazy like $80 but it was so pretty I bought it anyway.  And the year has not been kind on this cushion.  I have washed it a couple times in the washing machine but it's too stained now to make much of a difference.

I also bought a chair cushion for the wicker chair I already had from One Kings Lane that I just washed and it doesn't come clean anymore either.

I've looked all around for cushions that a) fit my outdoor furniture and b) zip off for cleaning and it appears to not exist for any sort of budget mind.  I was debating replacing the cushions with solid black cushions that I found locally for a pretty decent price but I'm having a hard time parting with perfectly good cushions.   Plus I want that area to be a little more jazzed up than just black and white (though, I still may go in that direction).

What I have decided is to try to make my own slipcovers that I can easily zip off and clean at will.  I decided to go with this fabric that I found on fabricguru.com:

Fabric Link

I'll let you know how it turns out.  I've done slipcovers like this before and though I thought they were passable someone stole the cushion off the front porch so I must have done a fine job.