Friday, May 17, 2013

The State of the Backyard

I'm about to blow your mind.

This was the backyard of the blue house around the time that we bought it.


Inside that really decrepit shed (I wouldn't even go inside) there were toys, a little kid used to play in there.


But, never fear after Brian and a friend spent many days beating up the concrete with a sledgehammer and clearing the brush and putting in a new fence along the sides, it looked like this.


When we tried to sell the blue house we planted pittosporum and oleanders. That winter was unusually cold and all the oleanders died leaving just the pittosporum in the corners. Notice how flat the yard was.


One of our tenants was thrilled with the backyard and said she wanted to have a garden and we were so excited. When she moved she left this monstrosity behind. She had put out a lot of bricks that I had to remove and the ground was no longer level. When she would plant something she'd leave the extra dirt in a pile and eventually there were unlevel areas all over the yard. It's still not perfect though I've tried to get it level with a rake.


I don't have any photos of last summer but I managed to plant a couple of camellias and transplant a few things from the yellow house and put out endless bags of mulch and attempt to grow grass.  Last year I also painted the fence white, which caused me to break down, luckily Brian came to the rescue and we finished it up. 

This year we planted more things and today it looks like this.

These photos are after the camellias bloomed and before the hydrangeas but you can see it's come a long way.  I'm still working on the grass.  Some of the grass is really tall and most of it is so short and it doesn't grow, it's so bizarre.