Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Office Space

A long, long time ago Brian and I bought this gigantic house 4 blocks from where we are now and moved in together.  That house had a gigantic hallway (everything was gigantic there) downstairs and a nook perfect for our office space.  But because it was so large and the house had such high ceilings 12.5 feet (!) we wanted the space to feel as undinky as possible.  So we bought this gigantic computer armoire and it filled the space very nicely.  Didn't look dinky at all.

But then we moved.

And we downsized considerably.

And we struggled even getting the armoire into the new house (tiny hallway).  And ever since this wall of armoire doom took over most of the front bedroom in the yellow house, I've pretty much hated it.

This is the only picture I have of it that I can find that proves a point.  I hate this monstrosity.


I tried removing the doors that always swung out that like because the floors are uneven.  Then when we moved the damn thing over to the blue house I decided I would paint it and maybe I would like it better then.  Unfortunately I used a brand of black paint that was uncooperative and the paint has been a disaster ever since (scratches and peeling, it's a nightmare).

It does hold a lot, I'll give it that and because storage is a premium here I've tried to make the best of it.  But I grow weary.  See that shelf that pulls out for the keyboard.  It's always out.  And so the desk sits out from the wall like 45 inches (I just measured) meaning I lose all that space from the center of the room.  This is valuable real estate.  It makes this whole room a nightmare because of how it juts out.  I can't even take pictures in this room because I hate it so.

But what can I do?  I don't even know how to transport this thing anywhere and I don't think I could even sell it because the paint is scratched and peeling.

But then the Foster/Adopt thing started happening and if we do Foster/Adopt that kid needs a room, a whole room, and therefore something needs to be done about this office.

I've been keeping a office pinterest page for a while.  Mostly to help me when I was redecorating my husband's office conference room.  And then I just threw inspiration pictures in there whenever I saw them.  When I knew we'd have to move the office space into the dining room I knew we would need to go small.  The area I measured for is slightly longer than 4 feet (48 inches).  Most regular sized desks are 50 something inches.  So what I'm looking for is some sort of smaller writing desk.  Luckily that sort of size is all the rage right now.

My favorite inspiration picture was this one.  I'm not sure why, the size was right, it felt warm, the shelving, the rug, it spoke to me.



So I've been on the look out for a simple sort of desk less than 48 inches wide to get me somewhere in the vicinity of this photo.  As always I'm on a tight budget but at the same time I didn't want to end up with something that looked terribly cheap that would be right out in our public space for parties and so forth.  As much as I could avoid fiberboard the better.  A happy medium so to speak.  I have all my choices on my pinterest but for the sake of illustration, I really narrowed it down to these 2 choices, both on sale at Pottery Barn Kids.


I really liked the legs of the first one but I loved the drawer front of the second one. I also wouldn't need to replace knobs on the second one and considering my anthropologie knob obsession that actually saves some bucks.  I was worried about the white, Pottery Barn loves to call things white that are really off-white, so I was leaning towards the top one that comes in gray.  But then after some searching I found out this white is supposed to be real white.  The bottom one is also on backorder but I'm not in a hurry anyway.  I ended up going with the bottom one.  I found some cheaper desk options but in the end I felt like this desk was a piece of furniture I could see myself with for a long long time.  I don't want to save a buck to get another desk I don't like or worse, doesn't hold up well.  One thing they don't tell you when you start buying furniture is you keep all your furniture, like forever, so make your purchases count.  It costs money to replace things and your husband gets mad.

I think this computer armoire will end up at Brian's office.  I can touch up the paint once it's moved, I can't do anything here because of the cats, the last thing I painted was an awful experience.  When the desk gets here I'm going to go ahead and set it up in the front bedroom.  I need to work on where all the other stuff goes because obviously the new desk has hardly no storage.  I need to get creative and I need to organize our closets better.  I don't think this will be an issue, I'm an anti-hoarder so it's easy for me to pare down.

I also have to figure out about a chair.  In the dining room it might be better to just move a chair over from the table but if a chair could fit completely under the desk a computer desk chair is nice to have too.  I found this one that I really like from Amazon but I'm not buying it today, that comes later.