Monday, October 14, 2013

Peacock Wicker Headboard - Finished

Not that I'm the best picture taker but I don't have a real camera anymore so I'm stuck with my iphone which is cute for instagram but bad for house photos, so I apologize in advance.

I finished my headboard!  Last week it rained for most of the week.  I did manage to find time to prime the bed with spraypaint outside.  I only had 2 cans and I probably needed 3 or 4 but it started raining in the end anyway so I ran inside with the bed.  Luckily spray paint primer dries super fast.

So I was sitting around last week hoping the rain would let up so I could go back out and spray paint the bed with aqua spraypaint I got at Michaels but it became very obvious pretty soon that it wasn't going to happen.  I decided to hand paint the bed. 

I do not recommend this.  Wicker is so hard to paint by hand.  I was basically using an almost dry brush and stab painting it.  For hours.  For three days.  For something I could have spray painted in a half a day, most of that time spent waiting for paint to dry.

But I had some bright aqua paint on hand perfect for the job and it was eggshell finish and not gloss like the spray paint and personally I thought I'd like it better a little matte.  When I first started painting it I was certain I made a grave mistake.  My primer was very thin so the orange showed through and when I painted my aqua over it, well, it looked very awful.  But I kept going and I'm so glad I did.



One of the things I was going to buy at Anthropologie was a couple of Euro shams.  But I realized the first time I made the bed that pillows cover up the beautiful headboard and I didn't want to do that.  So I'm sticking low profile, pillows flat on the bed and just one throw.  I'm still considering buying 2 shams but my husband uses 3 pillows and I don't think we want to sleep on shams.  Also that throw pillow is from the front bedroom, I'm still on the look out for a pillow or fabric that I can make a pillow with.  But I wanted to get the look I was going for.